September 20, 2014, 07:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1995 Damon Hornet Travel Trailer  (Read 13148 times)
JaycoNewbies
Handle Cranker

« on: March 22, 2010, 07:12:26 AM »

The DH and I are looking at a 1995 Damon Hornet travel trailer and need some help.  It is a repo from the bank and they know virtually nothing about it.  Their info is: 32F Damon by Hornet, 14 foot power slide, 25 foot awning, gas grill cooktop.  Where can I find info about fresh water tank, tow weight, grey and blank tanks, fridge info.....you get the picture.  All the info has been removed from inside the door so that doesn't help and when I try to do any searches I am coming up empty.  Is this company no longer in business?   Any help would be appreciated. 

1999 Starcraft Leisurestar
2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition
DH
DW
DS
DD
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »

Is this company no longer in business?

Damon is what is known as an "orphan" according to this RV Manufacturers List ... went out of business in 2000.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
JaycoNewbies
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »

Thanks Oz.

So do you think I should stay away from it?  Does that mean I wouldn't be able to get parts for it?  The bank probably wouldn't sell it to us for the price we are planning on offering anyway but don't want to get stuck.

DH
DW
DS
DD
Between Trips
Off Duty Moderator
PUX is my life

North Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »

Does that mean I wouldn't be able to get parts for it?

With exception of interior cabinetry and exterior decals, most TT construction is pretty much the same across all makes and models. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker. Just make sure everything works and check for any water damage.

USA  2007 KZ Spree 320BHS  TravTrl Long Black SUV Grey  2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD  Texas
 PopUp Green 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 8     September 11     1999 Keystone Cabana 1700  Hybrid
photo gallery
JaycoNewbies
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:09:41 AM »

I checked in all the the cabinets and the roof but saw no water damage.  Should I be doing more to check for water damage?

How do I find out about size of the fresh water tank and such?

DH
DW
DS
DD
Between Trips
Off Duty Moderator
PUX is my life

North Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »

I checked in all the the cabinets and the roof but saw no water damage.  Should I be doing more to check for water damage?

Check for any discoloration or sponginess in either the ceiling or the floor. Check the outside storage compartments for moisture or rotted wood. Take a look under the trailer for same. Above all, trust your nose...the smell of mildew is unmistakeable.

How do I find out about size of the fresh water tank and such?

You might try contacting Keystone RV (now makers of the Hornet line) via their website.

USA  2007 KZ Spree 320BHS  TravTrl Long Black SUV Grey  2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD  Texas
 PopUp Green 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 8     September 11     1999 Keystone Cabana 1700  Hybrid
photo gallery
Geodude
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

Ottawa, Ontario

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »

Here's a checklist for the PDI on a new trailer, which would still be useful for your peace of mind when considering a used trailer:  http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/RV_checklists/PDI_V113_2.pdf

Other than that, I agree with the advice given so far.  Check for wear and tear items, signs of leaks and resultant damage. 

You'd want to ask when the wheel bearings were last repacked or replaced, and see if the brakes need services.  Also, if the tires are more than about five years old they should be replaced.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:17:01 PM by Geodude » Logged

2012 Heartland Greystone 33CK, 38' triple-slide 5er
2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7L Power Stroke diesel, short box, crew cab, 4WD + Husky 16K EZ Roller 5th wheel hitch

Issue 16.2 of PopUp Times is now out!  Also in the iTunes store, including 16.1 for free for a limited time for you test drivers.  Get in on the action, subscribe today!
Between Trips
Off Duty Moderator
PUX is my life

North Texas

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »

You'd want to ask when the wheel bearings were last repacked or replaced, and see if the brakes need services.

Doubtful you'll get any info from the bank on this.

Other than the tires --which you can check yourself-- simply count on having the brakes and bearings serviced if you decide to purchase, just for peace of mind.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:32:19 PM by Between Trips » Logged

photo gallery
willingtonpaul
Back-er-in-er

Willington, CT

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »

bank repos in general can be a bit of a special lot.  it is surprising that a trailer that is 15 years old is the subject of a bank repo.  you most often see trailers that are one or two seasons old being repo'd.  folks buy them, get some use, get in financial trouble, and then the trailer payment goes and so goes the trailer.  then the new buyer can get a pretty good deal on an often little used, but possibly abused trailer.  but for a 15 year trailer, i should think that the first owner traded it in at some point to a dealer, the dealer sold it to a second or more owner that financed it, and then that owner got in trouble and here it is. 

either way, i think IMHO that you have to go in expecting to see some costs for repairs / refreshment of systems on a 15 year old trailer.  you mention that you don't think the bank will take your offer, but let me tell you something, the last thing they want is to sit on a 15 year old trailer.  lowball them like crazy and let them come back to you.  i can also assure you that you sure are not in a bidding war over this rig.  maybe a late model rig like mentioned above, but not a 15 year old one.  my advice is think about what you want to pay, and cut it in half.  offer that.  the other half might have to go to repairs.  let them come  back to you.  if you pay up for a 15 yr. old trailer, and then put more money into it, you are so upside down putting money into something very outdated.

my .02 cents.  let us know how it goes.

USA  Connecticut
Paul (1969), Adele (1968), Mila (2003), Ethan (2005)
TravTrl Long Blue  2010 Keystone Outback 301BQ
Ford  Pickup Grey  2012 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab 172" WB, FX4, Chrome Package, 20's.
Reese Dual Cam Hitch w/ 600lb. bars.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:45:48 AM »

i can also assure you that you sure are not in a bidding war over this rig.

No kidding, much older trailers are a dime a dozen and hold little value at all.  That's not to say no value, as my own dealer has dozens and dozens of trailers 15, 20, 25 years old on his lot, but for a reason ... he's found a market for hunters and outdoorsmen who are looking for a cheap "cabin" to drop on a piece of property up north.  That's a specialty case though around which he's developed part of his business but when an individual talks of buying an older trailer for traveling and camping I'd question not only what will it cost to buy and refurbish but what the heck are you going to do with it when the day comes that you want to get rid of it yourself?  Truthfully, there's not much of a market at all for very old trailers so even if this particular unit is a "steal of the century" you'd better be darned sure you really want it. Wink

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
JaycoNewbies
Handle Cranker

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »

Thanks for all the info.  When I checked NADA I came up with $2,200 in low condition and the bank is asking $6,000.  Where do they come up with their numbers?   If I do make an offer I have to assume that nothing works and go from there.  I can't want to see the look on the banker's face when they see my extremely low ball offer.  Believe it or not, the interior is really good condition.  I think it was bought and hardly used.  (which could be bad and good).  I think I am going to borrow my brother's gen and see if the bank will let me hook up to it to see if "stuff" works.  Thanks again.

DH
DW
DS
DD
courtsteve
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »

I think we just bought this camper. Bartonville? I took my gen Mon. and ran the frig, air, slide,microwave and everything else that could be run on electricity. Only problem was that the slide out interior lights don't work. Was winterized and yes it seems lightly used. No signs of leakage except a possible water intrusion during the slide going in. Awning okay. Looks like it had never traveled. Needs some cleaning. Tires looked 15 yrs. old with 3/4 tread but some rot. Offered 2500 and settled on 3500. I'm pleased for what we needed.
JaycoNewbies
Handle Cranker

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »

Hey Courtsteve,

That was the camper.  I guess I just didn't jump the gun soon enough.  I tend to overthink things sometimes.  Good luck with the camper and have fun with it.  Maybe we'll see you out camping. 

DH
DW
DS
DD
courtsteve
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:18 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes. Check back and I'll update on any problems I find. I have the same issue with waiting and not wanting to make a bad buy but feel better about this purchase since I meet a guy at the camper store that had bid 4500 on this trailer 2 weeks ago and got turned down. I must have caught them at the right time with cash in hand. I would not have considered this trailer if I had any intention of taking it down the road.
JaycoNewbies
Handle Cranker

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »

Please do give an update as to how things go.  Did you get your light situation figured out?  Hopefully it is just a fuse.

DH
DW
DS
DD
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: